You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Allods Online Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 12:18pm

Not a matter of being cheap. I simply asked what you guys think of people charging real money for the addons. I don't. It's not right on both scales. But either. I had no intention of this thread turning into a pothole of trolls and bashful comments against me or anyone else.

Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 12:23pm

Not a matter of being cheap. I simply asked what you guys think of people charging real money for the addons. I don't. It's not right on both scales. But either. I had no intention of this thread turning into a pothole of trolls and bashful comments against me or anyone else.

With all due respect, no-one is trolling here.

Disagreeing with you is not trolling, nor is pointing out the errors in your claims.
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 12:25pm

Besides, is this not a forum? Allows players to communicate. It would be better if someone would raise a legitimate point instead of being rude, saying I'm lame and stupid. That kind of attitude won't get any of us anywhere. But I'll be honest. Seems that the folks that say these things to me have had these petty and ignorant bickering a with me on the original forums. Not sure why I'm surprised to find that out. But I'm sure one of you will find a way to flip this whole thing around me in some sort of fashion. You always do. Sorry for expressing my opinion. I understand that certain folks don't think we should be allowed to do so because it's not what they believe and/or any other begotten reason of foul judgement and discrimination.

Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 12:32pm

I use Buff Announce and its totally worht the 40 cents.
It helps so much in PvE/PvP and brings wins on domi and is necesary for good competitive PvP.

Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 12:44pm

SΛΤΗΩ

Intermediate

Interesting fact.

Paid add-ons for games are ILLEGAL!

So feel free to report any site you find hosting them for copy-write infringement.

yes, and that's why the developers put a folder with examples and instruction how to write addons for Allods so they can sue ppl for copy rights...
/Allods/data/Mods/SampleAddons/

Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 2:35pm

If there was an easy way for NA people to pay the tiny amount of money, like via paypal, I guess I'd be a little more fine with it.
Though I can't say I know much about them.

Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 2:36pm

You're like some Anita Sarkeesian, trollbaiting and then asking but whyyy the rage.

shipwrecked, you are telling people the following:

"I want to use the code you wrote, but it is unethical of you to ask for money from me". Explain to me how it is ethical of you to claim that a person cannot ask for less than a stupid dollar for code he wrote? People took time out of their lives to write code that will improve your gaming experience... and it is unethical of them to ask for a bit of money? Are you high? Why are you the arbiter of what is okay to be sold and what not?

Everything that took time to make is okay to be sold. It is up to the people who made the thing to decide whether they will charge money or the thing will be free. It is up to you as a customer to decide whether something is worth the asking price or not. If it is not, then you just don't buy it. If too many people don't buy/use a service, the service will fail. Paid addons have existed since addon support was added in Allods, back when you had to restart the game to get addons to work.

[cut]
Colin Quinn Recipe for success/dinner. 1/2 cup of brass you know whats, a tablespoon of I don't give a care, and a pound of get off my back, jack!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Zurion" (Apr 18th 2014, 9:41am) with the following reason: Swearing

Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 3:08pm

Besides, is this not a forum? Allows players to communicate. It would be better if someone would raise a legitimate point instead of being rude, saying I'm lame and stupid. That kind of attitude won't get any of us anywhere. But I'll be honest. Seems that the folks that say these things to me have had these petty and ignorant bickering a with me on the original forums. Not sure why I'm surprised to find that out. But I'm sure one of you will find a way to flip this whole thing around me in some sort of fashion. You always do. Sorry for expressing my opinion. I understand that certain folks don't think we should be allowed to do so because it's not what they believe and/or any other begotten reason of foul judgement and discrimination.

Civil discussion works both ways.

You are clearly not interested in entering into discussion on the topic, and discount anyone who disagrees with your (inaccurate) assessments as a troll, do not have legitimate points, or are just being rude.

Rather than instantly taking the defensive, and lashing out, try addressing the points that we made.

Disagreement doesn't have to be uncivil.
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 3:50pm

Do you not see the posts? Disagreeing with me is one thing. But one is calling me stupid, the other is telling me to jump off an Allod. But you'll justify that one too, right?

Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 3:52pm

Civil discussion works both ways.

You are clearly not interested in entering into discussion on the topic, and discount anyone who disagrees with your (inaccurate) assessments as a troll, do not have legitimate points, or are just being rude.

Rather than instantly taking the defensive, and lashing out, try addressing the points that we made.

Disagreement doesn't have to be uncivil.
I had all intentions of doing so, until the replies came back not giving me that courtesy. Instead of considering the OP, they immediately stated they disagree and some even through in a few insults.

Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 4:00pm

You're like some Anita Sarkeesian, trollbaiting and then asking but whyyy the rage.
I have no idea who that person is. And I'm not troll baiting. It's not my fault everyone gets so rude on certain subjects. I know the OP wasn't. There is no rage. Please stop using my replies in reference to some internet pop culture. Its nothing of the sort.
shipwrecked, you are telling people the following:
What am I telling them?
"I want to use the code you wrote, but it is unethical of you to ask for money from me". Explain to me how it is ethical of you to claim that a person cannot ask for less than a stupid dollar for code he wrote? People took time out of their lives to write code that will improve your gaming experience... and it is unethical of them to ask for a bit of money? Are you high? Why are you the arbiter of what is okay to be sold and what not?
No, it's not a matter of me stating that it is ethically wrong to sell the add-ons. All I was doing was asking people how they felt about the idea and gave my opinion. We're all entitled to one, right? Both you and I should have the right to discuss without being berated by folks that seem to have nothing better to do.
Everything that took time to make is okay to be sold. It is up to the people who made the thing to decide whether they will charge money or the thing will be free. It is up to you as a customer to decide whether something is worth the asking price or not. If it is not, then you just don't buy it. If too many people don't buy/use a service, the service will fail. Paid addons have existed since addon support was added in Allods, back when you had to restart the game to get addons to work.
This is true. But there is one thing you got to understand. It's a SDK. You agreed to a license of use. You don't own any of it. If anything, you're just leasing the product. Sure, the coding he put into it was his, as well as the hard work. But when you start making profit off an item that doesn't belong to you in a sense of right, then it is almost morally wrong. But we all have different boundaries here don't we?

[cut]

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Zurion" (Apr 18th 2014, 9:43am) with the following reason: Quoting a post that was moderated

Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 5:18pm

[quote='SΛΤΗΩ',index.php?page=Thread&postID=11821#post11821][quote='metallix6','index.php?page=Thread&postID=11588#post11588']Interesting fact.

Paid add-ons for games are ILLEGAL!

So feel free to report any site you find hosting them for copy-write infringement.[/quote]

[font='Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif'][size=12]yes, and that's why the developers put a folder with examples and instruction how to write addons for Allods so they can sue ppl for copy rights...
/Allods/data/Mods/SampleAddons/[/size][/font][/quote]

It's not writing the add-on's that is illegal but selling them for money.

Please just do some actual research on relevant copyright law. Also feel free to read the EULA, that should clear some things up for you.

Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 6:29pm

I challenge you to provide the excerpts of copyright law and the EULA that prohibit monetization of addons. I will tell you right now - you won't find any. Addons are not part of the game, they are not covered by the game's copyright or the EULA. Addons are pieces of software on their own, like third party addons for 3dsmax, or the stuff for the Unity Engine in the Unity store.

For the SDK - all you need is to read the license accepted by the people who sell the addons and you'll find all the answers you need. I haven't read it, because I haven't needed to. I know addons are sold on the go-to Russian site for addons, mail.ru knows about it and hasn't done anything to crack down on selling addons.

If you're going to discuss copyright law and EULA/TOS's - you need to know that both make modding games illegal.

You can make games in Unity or Game Maker and sell them and the developers of both engines don't need to see a penny from you. It is part of their license.
Colin Quinn Recipe for success/dinner. 1/2 cup of brass you know whats, a tablespoon of I don't give a care, and a pound of get off my back, jack!

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Biromir" (Apr 2nd 2014, 6:48pm)

Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 7:50pm

keep in mind that paid add-ons are prohibited. a game is a business, and no one would like some random guy to get money on your back without permission.

Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 8:17pm

1st: the API is there to build addons -> if allods programmers would not like that they would delete the api, done
2nd: you can get "paid" addons for free also
3rd: if you are a fairplay guy then go play football of hello kitty online, these are great for fairplay... allods is about winning, not about being fair to the enemy

Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 8:21pm

Do you not see the posts? Disagreeing with me is one thing. But one is calling me stupid, the other is telling me to jump off an Allod. But you'll justify that one too, right?
when you deserve it it's justified

Evreu <WarSong>
aka Mindbug Trauma Mercury Evesco blah blah

Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 8:59pm

when you deserve it it's justified
There is no justification for rudeness when its uncalled for. And the fella that said this game is about winning only, well, that has nothing to do with the add-ons. And please, I'm sure you've heard this before. It's just a game we all play.

Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 9:24pm

Paid addon is fair? No. lt's stupid. Not only authur want the Reputation, Fame, but a wealthy too. We have the witness "Greed" on this gaming community. Let hope it doesn't spare on other mmo games such as WoW, GW2, ESO n others new mmo.

Author could've request the donate but to require pay fee to get addons? forget it. It was like pay to hacker to play better. Amen.

Friday, April 18th 2014, 10:03am

Teppisch, sorry for commenting after you locked the thread, but I feel that, as one of the people this thread was aimed at, I have to respond.

Firstly, I don't know how I missed this thread. Or I would've posted something long ago.
For those that don't know who I am, I'm the author of the velhuru addon that was mentioned in the first post of this thread.

Most addons start as something you do as a hobby, to ease something you're doing in game, or simply, to enchance your gaming experience. You don't think about getting paid for it. But after you have to work on it again and again, because people are asking for features, or because a patch broke your addon, and you spend weeks on reworking it (I had to rework the addon twice, from scratch. Now I have to rework part of it because of the patch we'll get soon), you start to lose interest for it. You don't get anything in return. People will start to take notice of you in-game, that's true, but that only leads to more addon requests. Trust me, I have a word document with tons of addon requests, and I'm not sure I'll be able to make them.

I started charging for the addon because I wanted to get something in return for spending all those hours working on it. Because it was hard for players from North America to buy it from alloder.pro, but also I didn't want the addon to "run free" (if I did that, there was no point in having it on alloder.pro anymore. Who would spend money for something they can get for free if they do a bit of searching?), I started asking gold for it. The price was 1000 gold or 100 crystal shards(at that time, it was the same thing). Was it a lot? I think not. You spent time farming in-game, I spent time working on the addon. But it wasn't as easy as you'd think, as I had to develop some kind of protection, or else a player would buy a copy and send it to all his friends.
When patch 5.0 arrived, I deciced to make the addon alloder.pro exclusive, I didn't have the time to mantain two versions of it.

This is a huge wall of text already :( But there's more.

I really don't know if selling addons is illegal or not. There are arguments for both sides. But I do know one thing: mail.ru didn't stop it. And they sure have the power to do so. Yes, the developers of the Allods Online were a bit frustrated at the begining, but that was all. You can say we have permission from them to sell our addons, as long as we're not charging too much for them, or they break the game in any way.

About adding different payment ways to alloder.pro, it was tried with paypal and google wallet, but I've been told there were some problems. The site is hosted in Ukraine, not Russia, and now, with the war going on there, it's even less likely that other payment methods will be implemented.

That was all that I had to say.