You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Allods Online Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, May 28th 2014, 3:03am

Fraust

Trainee

• "Fraust" started this thread

Add-ons Project

Hello friendly players! :D

I'm constantly getting asked about add-ons in game and after reading the forums I've seen that the most effective add-ons aren't exactly available to all the players. This in mind, I've decided to start a project that I believe will help everyone who enjoy this wonderful game. Although this is mainly aimed towards players that speak English or use it as their primary language. I see that they're are many add-on websites available but they are in Russian by default and the translations are crap. (no offense)

So I've decided to begin working on a simplified website to host add-ons built by players to enhance our experience in the game. However, this site will be different from what we're used to seeing. Some of the qualities to come are:

• Completely free add-ons available to all players.
  • Easy way to navigate, select and download add-ons of your choice with no hassle.
  • And one I'm personally excited about, the possibility of open source add-ons.

Why Open Source?

As you've seen, most add-ons can be quite difficult to build and maintain. In order to ensure continued use and functionality, most developers begin to charge real money in order to fund their efforts. Now, there is nothing wrong with doing this, but I believe its bad for the game as well as the players. Why you ask? Well, it's simple. Some add-ons provide feature enhancements that some players believe to be a possible necessity in order to progress through content efficiently or at all. Some players however frugal, may not be able to purchase one of these add-ons. This puts a real strain on players but as well as groups or raids that could be achieved successfully much easier if all players had these things to provide a better experience for us all. In my opinion, no good player should be hindered in any way based on the currency they are able to spend. Especially since this is a free game, if players began to believe that in order to get the top notch experience in a game they have to buy add-ons essentially renders it no longer a free game. Sure, maybe free to play, but you get the idea.

But, by going open source, this allows all the collective minds of add-on developers to work together in order to provide quality add-ons. Updates would come more frequently, newer add-ons would be created easier and much more quickly than that of closed source. If an add-on breaks there are multitudes of developers able to pitch in to fix said add-on(s). And best of all, these would be free, with the goal of believing that all players should be able to get the best experience possible, regardless of how much cash or income they have available.

So what do you guys think? Sound like a good idea to you? What would you do take make this idea better? Feel free to show me your ideas as well.

Wednesday, May 28th 2014, 3:03am

Fraust

Trainee

• "Fraust" started this thread

Wednesday, May 28th 2014, 4:12pm

this is a great idea. open source and free software is always a good thing :love:

maybe you want to give players an option where they can donate if they wish to, because most players do want to contribute to projects like this :)

Wednesday, May 28th 2014, 10:01pm

Rate this thread