You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Allods Online Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, September 24th 2014, 12:40pm

5.0.02 - Wizard name - Feedback Welcome!

What might be more suitable for the new Summoner archetype?

A total of 139 Votes have been submitted.

6%

Keep the name 'Wizard' (9)

71%

Warlock (98)

9%

Diabolist (12)

4%

Dark Wizard (5)

9%

Death Mage (13)

1%

Other (please state) (2)

Dear Users

As you may have seen with the latest 5.0.02 preview, we'll be bringing in new race-classes like the Huntsman and Wizard.

I don't know... Wizard? Wouldnt' something like Warlock be more suitable for Summoner archetype?

Artuditu brings up an interesting point of view regarding the Wizards name in the discussion thread.
As such, We have been discussing it internally, and have settled on a few alternatives. We'd love to hear more feedback on what you feel would suit this summoning archetype!

-The Allods Team
The Sky Is Not The Limit, It Is Only The Genesis Of Dreams.
General InGame Rules|| Account Ownership Rules || Forum Code Of Conduct|| Signature Rules

Wednesday, September 24th 2014, 1:29pm

Artuditu

Trainee

Wow! O.O

That's something I didn't expect at all. Obviously, my vote goes to Warlock :)

Edit: By the way, in the official news Xadaganian Wardens have been called Huntmasters and here in the poll post there is Huntsman. I don't know about others but I find the latter more appealing. Anyway, which one is the official name at the moment?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Artuditu" (Sep 24th 2014, 1:43pm)

Wednesday, September 24th 2014, 1:41pm

Nyix

Beginner

I totally agree. Wizard fits more to a typical Mage archetype.
I think Warlock sounds like the best option for the kanian summy indeed.
MissKoala / Paladine / league New Frontier

Wednesday, September 24th 2014, 2:11pm

Guza

Intermediate

Its like they didnt even try to put a good name.

Wednesday, September 24th 2014, 2:21pm

Ohh, nice to see that you're taking suggestions into account.

I got quite some suggestions.

I'd say while at it you could get to fixing up what Gpotato did wrong at the beginning - that is naming classes with names that are more fitting to other classes in the game.

Regarding this particular class:

Change "Summoner" archetype to "Necromancer" as it is in original version.

Then Elf summoner needs a change badly, "Demonologist" isn't really right as this class has nothing to do with demons. Demons come from the Astral. Necromancer is about the Undead.

Here's what I mean with mixing up names, In my opinion "Sorcerer" would be perfect for Elf Summoner, and Warlock for the Kanian. But... Sorcerer is already taken by Arisen mage. I feel like "Enchanter" would be more fitting for Arisen mage.

Now regarding another rather bad archetype translation. The healing plate one.

Archetype name "Healer" is no way fitting because that class can also fill the damage dealer role.

You should change it to "Priest" as it is in the original version, and again, Priest is taken by Elf class of this archetype so that one needs a rename too, in my opinion "Chaplain" would be more fitting for the elf.

There's more. Paladins.

There's a minor issue with Archetype and Elf name being switched, in original version Templar is the Archetype and Paladin is the elf. And there's a major issue with the Orc name - Reaver.
Paladins/Templars are in no way about reaving or pillaging. They are holy knights! That trasnlation is like... terribad. I'd suggest yet again what's closest to the original version - "Punisher" or "Executioner" or "Chastener".

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Dala" (Sep 24th 2014, 2:27pm)

Wednesday, September 24th 2014, 2:50pm

Laela

Beginner

+ to Warlock. Wizards are magical like Mages. Warlocks sound much darker.

Really glad to see you're taking our suggestions into account ^_^

Wednesday, September 24th 2014, 4:09pm

Intoshadows

Intermediate

I'd say while at it you could get to fixing up what Gpotato did wrong at the beginning - that is naming classes with names that are more fitting to other classes in the game.

Then Elf summoner needs a change badly, "Demonologist" isn't really right as this class has nothing to do with demons. Demons come from the Astral. Necromancer is about the Undead.

Here's what I mean with mixing up names, In my opinion "Sorcerer" would be perfect for Elf Summoner, and Warlock for the Kanian. But... Sorcerer is already taken by Arisen mage. I feel like "Enchanter" would be more fitting for Arisen mage.

Archetype name "Healer" is no way fitting because that class can also fill the damage dealer role.

You should change it to "Priest" as it is in the original version, and again, Priest is taken by Elf class of this archetype so that one needs a rename too, in my opinion "Chaplain" would be more fitting for the elf.

There's more. Paladins.

There's a minor issue with Archetype and Elf name being switched, in original version Templar is the Archetype and Paladin is the elf. And there's a major issue with the Orc name - Reaver.
Paladins/Templars are in no way about reaving or pillaging. They are holy knights! That trasnlation is like... terribad. I'd suggest yet again what's closest to the original version - "Punisher" or "Executioner" or "Chastener".
Dala needs to be hired by development, all of her ideas are excellent.

...pay her in boutique crystals. =)

Wednesday, September 24th 2014, 5:00pm

Wow, nice that you actually listen to suggestions. :P Big thumbs up!
p2p Empire lvl 60 Paladin Bowtiful

Wednesday, September 24th 2014, 5:29pm

rozetri

Intermediate

There's more. Paladins.

You do realize it's far, far, far too late to be making this level of modification, correct? It's not just renaming the individual classes, you would have to go through all the quest text where those names are also mentioned and change those as well. Good ideas, but too late to the party.

Also, +1 Warlock.
IGN: Rozetri
Class: Xadaganian Great Avenger - Lv.75
Guild: Ascendancy (Valiance)
Server: New Frontier (Tensess)
Ship: IndigoSky

Wednesday, September 24th 2014, 10:33pm

You do realize it's far, far, far too late to be making this level of modification, correct? It's not just renaming the individual classes, you would have to go through all the quest text where those names are also mentioned and change those as well. Good ideas, but too late to the party.

Also, +1 Warlock.

Oddly enough, the "class names" are translated better in quests than on the classes themselves. And yes, this means they aren't consistent, names are mixed up, summoner is sometimes summoner, sometimes necromancer in quest/NPC texts. Look up the Masquerade quests for example, those names on the buffs there are much better than ones on actual classes.

Thursday, September 25th 2014, 3:09am

There's more. Paladins.

Dala needs to be hired by development, all of her ideas are excellent.

...pay her in boutique crystals. =)

i agree in everything here! :)

Thursday, September 25th 2014, 4:38am

Autopsyst

Trainee

change "summoner" to "necromancer", change xada "defiler" to "reanimator", and FINALLY change this site codepage cuz when you type e-mail/pass and hit enter button it do not work unless you manually click "log in" by mouse
I don't like you, you don't like me
Its not likely that we'll ever be friends
Why pretend?

They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Thursday, September 25th 2014, 8:07am

Spinecrawler

Intermediate

Voting for name is very good idea :) +1

Thursday, September 25th 2014, 10:11am

Gramarye

Professional

Cool idea, want to have polls for weird translation too :'(

Thursday, September 25th 2014, 5:35pm

IAmGroot

Professional

change this site codepage cuz when you type e-mail/pass and hit enter button it do not work unless you manually click "log in" by mouse
This + 1000x.
I hate.....HATE that part about this.

Thursday, October 2nd 2014, 12:16pm

Mhuldoon

Professional

A big thanks to everyone for voting thus far!
A special tip of the hat to Dala for raising some interesting critique as well.

Considering the landslide vote, we've taken it on board: The Wizard will now transition to Warlock as per the Community Vote, assuming there is no drastic change in the voting figures between now and the patch going live that is ;)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Mhuldoon" (Oct 2nd 2014, 12:29pm)

Thursday, October 2nd 2014, 4:35pm

Intoshadows

Intermediate

Yeah, not sure if this is just a major translation fail or what but Wizard definitely is not a good choice for a Kanian Summoner.

Warlock is much more appropriate.

The term Wizard is traditionally associated with the typical elemental spell-caster that controls arcane energies.

Warlock denotes one that dabbles in black magic and the foul art of necromancy to achieve their goals. Much more fitting for a summoner class.

Thursday, October 2nd 2014, 4:55pm

Traditionally, back in the day, in the old days, before there were video games, a necromancer was (as now) a practitioner of necromancy, but these days, necromancy is not what it used to be. The word's origins are, like all -mancies, in *divination*, so a necromancer was someone who performed rituals so as to be able to consult with the dead for their greater knowledge of events. The closest you get these days is when a medium holds a seance and asks the spirit / etc. of the dead person to answer questions.

And no, it wasn't a particularly foul art at all.
Now f2p 60 Xadaganian summy with 60/60/60 tailor/weaponsmith/alchemist, bleah gear, 555/555 runes
Now p2p 28 Xadaganian avenger with 20 weaponsmith
I'm on an extended break from Allods at the moment, but I'm lurking here to keep up with what's happening. From the looks of things in 5.0.02, I'm better off where I am.

Thursday, October 2nd 2014, 7:39pm

Intoshadows

Intermediate

Indeed? Perhaps you correct. Now that you mention it, Necromancy doesn't sound foul at all, why, summoning the spirits of the dead against their will to do ones bidding does sound rather cheerful and jovial now that I think about it. Most Necromancer's I've read about in lore are such positive role models; gleaming and benevolent pillars of the community.

Lemme guess, your the one guy that voted to leave it as Wizard?

Friday, October 3rd 2014, 1:49am

Mhuldoon

Professional

Necromancy doesn't sound foul at all, why, summoning the spirits of the dead against their will to do ones bidding does sound rather cheerful and jovial now that I think about it.
Lemme guess, your the one guy that voted to leave it as Wizard?
a) You're implying the dead do not wish to return in the first place - And whether they would do so as a slave or not (willingly or otherwise) would depend on the intent of the necromancer and/or possibly the 'victim' in certain circumstances, if you can call it that when it comes to being dead already.

In Steveread999's case, he is referring to the old art of 'mediums', who simply wished to communicate with the dead, not force them do their bidding (outside of said communication), and on that note, if you had died and were brought back merely to impart some knowledge for the sake of your loved one(s), I'm pretty sure you wouldn't get up in arms over it compared to, say, having your corpse ripped from the ground to serve as a mindless undead meatshield in someone else's fights in the more 'fantasy' / 'magical' style of necromancy that we see in most games.

b) I honestly don't see why you'd get passive-aggressive on the guy for simply pointing old the older necromantic arts and putting a different side to the coin. It was a harmless post which some may even find interesting. Necromancy in general is written differently in every story/game.

Having said that, the 'stereotypical' fantasy necromancer, sure, your points apply.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Mhuldoon" (Oct 3rd 2014, 2:07am)

Rate this thread