You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Allods Online Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, March 30th 2015, 1:32pm

A Knife

Beginner

• "A Knife" started this thread

[PMB] Efinka's Paladin guide

Hey fellow players, I'm Efinka, some of you know me as a feet lover, a queen, a pvp prodigy (kidding.. kidding..), but most of you don't know me at all. So, I am playing on League side, in WarSong guild. I am playing for:

(Or 3 years in total more or less.). My first character and only main character was always Efinka and was always a paladin. This is my first ever PMB entry, and the reason I'm doing it now is because I feel I accumulated a lot of knowledge on how to play paladin, I love this class and out of all classes I got the chance to play my paladin was always were I felt 'in my own skin'.

So! lets get down to business.

The Broken Chains patch brings few interesting changes:
  • Mighty Strikes rubies downgraded from their previous %. (now 6/9/18%)
  • Anger Flushed - new ruby set that reduces Cooldown duration of melee attacks by 10/20/30% under the Righteous Cause effect.
  • Pure Thoughts- new ruby set that gives a 20/40/60% chance to restore one cannon of purity for each enemy killed from your direct attack.
  • Pledge of Allegiance - gives you a 10/20/30% to restore 1 cannon of light when a barrier is split.
The meaning for physical paladins- the base damage of melee attacks is slightly reduced, because Mighty Strikes is affecting Crusader Blow/Seal, Purifying Strike and Shining Sword. But, the Anger Flushed rubies add a mighty damage burst skill, combine with Pious Anger it will make Righteous Cause a deadly skill both in PVE and PVP.
The meaning for Holly paladins- added 2 options to passively restore cannons.

Now, lets talk about the noble task of all, tanking:

Playing as tank is not easy, It will require of you to master these 3 aspects:
1. Getting agro on a mob/mobs.
2. Stay alive.
3. DPS.
And this is how we are dealing with each of those issues:
1. so to accomplish the first part will depend whether we are fighting a single target or we are fighting a pull with many mobs.
If we are fighting a single target, than our life are easy and all we need to do is use the magic skill :
Challenge (Taunt)- force the target to attack you for 10 seconds.
After you use this you can proceed to no. 2+3, stay alive and DPS.
Our 2nd aid to maintain agro is the following skill + rubies:
Righteous Word- This skill, apart of causing damage to the target, will apply a buff on the target that will increase the threat your attacks generates by 100%. Meaning, After applying this buff on the target you following attacks will generate more threat and this is how we maintain agro. The rubies Guilty Conscience (at rank 3) will add 150% more threat and will add periodic damage to this effect, those rubies are a must in every tank build.

It gets more complicated when we need to get agro for multiple targets. Here we will need to rotate from target to target and get agro separately.
I do a rotation of this sort:
What we did here? we chose one target and apply Condemnation, then Righteous Word for increasing the threat, then Interdiction which AOE all the pack and spreading the Condemnation effect. When we will tab to the next mob there is no need to reapply Condemnation because as long as the mob is in range It should have it. after we applied RW (Righteous Word) on all the mobs we can start DPSing and using Sacred Sunrise.
We can also use Taunt on 1 of the mobs if we lose agro. I usually save the Taunt if I see a rouge mob chasing a fellow player. Remember that main purpose of a tank is to save others from getting damage!

2. Staying alive.
The one and only secret to stay alive is barrier management. Each player I assume have different take on this part. My take is to rotate the barriers blindly while my main focus is the fight. There is 2 skills I rotate continuously non stop:

Tenacity will reduce the damage in the first shield and will rotate him to last, which buys us more time to manage the damage taken.
Overcome will break the fist shield and will absorb 66% of the damage in it.

Tip: these skills are now your best friends! give them the best hotkeys because you'll use these hotkeys A LOT!

When those 2 skills are not enough I use one of the following:
Deliverance- Break the first shield and completely absorb the damage.
Vindication- rubies under Overcome tree. Breaks the first holy barrier and inflict 30% of it on the target and 70% on you.
Touch of Light- if you also have the supporting rubies (Holly Defense r2) this will give you shield that will absorb damage for 10 seconds. Now the cool part is that you can use this skill on party members if you see someone is going down, it may save their lives!

And of course you have Solemn Prayer and Mystery of the Light skills to increase healing, and help your healer.
Solemn Prayer- heals all party members withing 20 range.
Mystery of the Light- increase healing received by party members by 100% for 10 seconds. Note- only use it when its abslutly needed because the cooldown is 5 minutes. This is a world mystery skill (not in the talent tree).

3. The DPS part is the least important for tanking, But its still important because it helps you receive agro and maintain it faster, and in general having extra DPS never hurts, as long as you don't let go of the other 2 parts I mentioned. DPS rotation will be the same as I mentioned before to get agro, only that you add the skill Sacred Sunrise before using RW/Interdiction.
Sacred Sunrise- apply an effect on the target that cause the next holy attack to release holy damage on the target.
Other usefull skills
Short-term CCs:
Shining Sword- will blind the target for 4/5/6 seconds.
Autodafe- damaging the target with fire and prevents it from moving or using skills. (and does a cool animation ^^)
Binding Curse- slows the target by 50% for 7/15/19 seconds. useful for PVP. Also nice if you are leveling (kiting mobs and prevents them from hitting you)
Racials:
Rousing Shout-This ability breaks the first shield and absorbing 30% of its damage, and reduce the incoming damage by 30% for 7 seconds.
Pious Words- curse the target to reduce their healing by 50% for 10 seconds, Only useful in PVP.
Crusader's Endurance- combine the damage in all 3 shields into 1 and inflicts 25% of this damage on you. Helpful to get rid of all barriers at once but can be risky to use when your health is low.
Exhaust Evil- damaging enemies in-front of you and knock them down. Can be used in PVP for the knock down effect, or in PVE for a pack of mobs. My favorite usage of this skill is when a bard using invisibility skill you can use it to break it.

This post has been edited 16 times, last edit by "A Knife" (Apr 3rd 2015, 4:07pm)

Monday, March 30th 2015, 1:35pm

A Knife

Beginner

Miscellaneous:
Humility- restores ALL cannons but prevents them from regenerating for 30 seconds. Use whenever you are low on cannons. (WM skill)
Courage- dispels fear effect and gives you immunity to fear for 10 seconds. Use it whenever you are being feared.

Tank build:

I have all the possible rubies unlocked from world mysteries and from mage pages (except the Eclipse ruby), so for those who have less rubies these are the rubies I think you can let go- Vengeance skill is no needed for tanking. Departing Light- rank 2 might be enough.

Stats:
There is more than 1 approach to stat balancing, some include complex calculations and mathematics, but fear not, I'll try to make it simple.
My approach for offense: keep Proficiency and Brutality at the same amount and put all the rest on Determination. Determination is a key for a tank, we are constantly taking damage therefor this stat is very useful. Anger is completely useless stats for tanks, and in general in PVE.
Defense: I always start with Tenacity. First decide how much Tenacity you need for what you are about to do, then, spread the remaining stats between Bloodlust and Vitality. Willpower is not very useful as a tank.

These are my tanking stats:
Proficiency: 25-35
Determination: 50-70
Brutality: 25-35
Anger: 15 (just because of guild rubies)

Vitality: 50-55
Willpower: 5
Bloodlust: 25-30
Tenacity: 40 and below for most things, 50-80 for sector 3 tanking. (this also depends on your gear and runes. With lower gear you will take more damage therefore you will need more tenacity to protect you from wound complexity, thats why I say 50-80, If your gear is lower try to get he higher range of Tenacity)

I will not elaborate as much as I have on the previous build, first because I don't want to exhaust you my dear readers and second because its pretty similar to the tank build.
here are the changes between the builds:
  • As for talents there is only 1 change, Deliverance dropped to rank 2 and instead i took rank 2 Binding Curse.
  • Took rank 1 of the ruby seal of silence which adds 4 seconds silence to Binding Curse with a 90 seconds cd, very useful.
  • Took rank 3 of the extra Brutality rubies. 1 ruby is wasted to take it, but I think its worth it. Stat boost is always useful.
  • Instead of Departing light (tank build) I took Energy Surge. Both are doing the same thing- restoring energy. but departing light is more useful as tank since you are constantly taking damage and popping shields. Also the extra healing received from Departing is more useful for tank who is always being healed, at PVP many times you are not being healed. Energy surge will simply increase your energy regeneration and not depending on any conditions.
  • Took rank 2 of the extra Willpower rubies. while in PVE Willpower is not really needed, in PVP its a life saver.
  • Removed the battle res ruby and Taunt. We wont need it in PVP.
  • The extra Tencaity rubies are down to rank 1, and even that is just to get to the rubies above.
  • Removed the Pulsing Rays rubies so I can have the extra rubies for other things. Those rubies are very good in making you take less damage passively, but i had to sacrifice the least important to get the essentials.
Other than those changes, the play style of this build is same like tank. This build is both very tanky, and will give you nice amount of DPS and CCs. And when the determination bar goes up you will get a very nice damage burst equal to any DPS class.
Remember to use short-time CCs at crucial times, for example I like to use Binding curse when my enemy is low, silence them for 4 seconds, if its a healer class it stops them from healing.

PVP Holy build:

Stats:
Proficiency: 35-45
Determination: 40-60
Brutality: 35-45
Anger: 15 and above if you want to deal wound.

Willpower: 20+ (The more the better in my opinion, no one likes to be chained-CCd)
Bloodlust: 20-30 (I like to be able to heal myself when healer are not around which is too often in skirmishes, but you can go less)
Tenacity: 25 and bellow.

Now equip your 2 handed weapon and lets get physical... physical...

First of all I want to mention my approach to this build is slightly different that other paladins I know. Most physical builds I've seen include some AOE, either Anathema or Chastising Strike, and I also did the same up until the current patch. But in Broken Chain I decided to go for pure single target DPS build and that is for 2 reasons, first, the AOE options as physical are not great, Chastising is a great skill but the range is only melee, and if you take Anathema you will most likely not take all the supporting rubies because you will need those rubies for physical boost, so your skill will lack the full damage of all the supporting rubies.
The second reason is need, from what I've noticed in this patch in astral the packs of mobs are pretty easy to kill, while the bosses are the real challenge. So, I let my fellow party members who have better AOE skills than me as a physical paladin, such as scouts and mages do the AOE, the mobs as I said dies quick so its not an issue, and i can focus mobs one by one and have very high damage on a single target.
In any class and not just paladin its important to know your role in the party and maximize it, sometimes taking more than 1 role at once will hurt your performance.

Rotation:
Condemnation first. Then Retribution which will extend the duration of Condemnation every time we use it. Purifying Strike and Entangling Chains will have the best outcome if Divine Sentence buff is active on the enemy, therefore make sure to use Retribution before each.

For extra damage use Pious Anger and Righteous Cause, preferably together because Pious Anger will increase your damage (and range) and Righteous Cause will decrease cooldowns and energy needed.
- Pious Anger- increase damage of all skills and range of melee skills.
- Righteous Cause- Decrease the energy cost of all skills and increase cooldown on barrier skills (dont use when low on health, along with Anger Flushed rubies will decrease cooldowns of melee skills by 30% at rank 3)

Tip: For maximum impact of those skills, use them when your determination is high, and use them when ever its off cooldown (on boss fights).

The usage of barriers is the same as in tank speck, only that now the cooldown will be longer because lack of rubies / lower rank.

This post has been edited 19 times, last edit by "A Knife" (Apr 10th 2015, 10:26pm)

Monday, March 30th 2015, 2:32pm

A Knife

Beginner

PVE physical single target build:

Note: I 'wasted' 1 ruby to reach Reparation (battle res), because I use this build mostly for raiding and many times it helps to have extra battle res. but feel free to change these 2 rubies for either rank 2 Protection of Faith (decreases cooldowns and energy cost on barrier skills) or rank 2 Exorcism (increase Condemnation damage.). Thats my opinion.Again, its all about play style and need, my builds are not set in stone :thumbup:

Stats:
Proficiency: 40-50
Determination: 10-50 (depends on the activity you are going to do. I usually go with 30+, for some fights I know I will take a lot of damage can go higher)
Brutality: 40-50
Anger: 15 (only because of guild ruby, useless in PVE)

Willpower: 5-15
Bloodlust: 20-30 (not a must, but since physical paladins have a high damage output it is nice to have.)
Tenacity: 10-20 (depends on the task, sector 2 doesn't require as high tenacity as sector 3.)

Last but not least, PVP physical:

This one is almost identical to the PVE one, therefore I will only tell you the changes:
  • Added Willpwer rubies, rank 3.
  • Removed battle res ruby.
  • Removed Condemnation.
  • Determination is down to rank 1.
  • Added rank 2 Binding Curse+ Seal of silence rank 1.
  • Added Shining sword rank 1.

This build is all about focusing the enemies one by one, and killing them fast, while having decent survivability, although don't expect to be as tanky as the holy build is.
Note- It can also be helpful to have higher rank on the short-term cc talents (Shining Sword, Autodafe). It is totally up to you and your priorities.

PVP physical build:

Stats:
Proficiency: 40-50
Determination: 30-50
Brutality: 40-50
Anger: 15 and above for wound

Willpower: 20 and above
Bloodlust: 20-30
Tenacity: 15-20

Practice:
Physical PVP:

Holy PVP:

Both these examples are from AOD matches. Note that the holy PVP build actually have more damage because of its powerful AOE. Physical build has more single target burst damage therefore more kills. So in holy speck= Higher damage lower kills, and on DPS speck is opposite. Also you cant see it here, but ofcourse the holy speck has more survivability than physical.
I put these screen shots incomplete on purpose because it doesn't matter to see the other players in that particular raid, I just want you to see what each build excels at, so that in case you are debating if to take physical or holy as your PVP speck this comparison might help.

You have made it to the end!
Thanks a lot for reading through this guide, I did my best to keep it short and to the point but I do have a lot to say.. I gave a lot of thought into these 4 builds and the guide so that other young and old paladins can benefit.
So use it well, feel free to ask questions or point out things, Ill be around to comment.

Final Tip: if you are going to use one of my builds, feel free to adjust them to your own needs! there is no one 'right' build, there is only a build that is right for you.

See you all in-game! 8)

This post has been edited 6 times, last edit by "A Knife" (Apr 3rd 2015, 3:35pm)

Monday, March 30th 2015, 7:15pm

One of the best build @ the mom close to my one
1 or 2 Changes
For 3 u Need 80 tena.
2 Its more than enough if u have 20
Try a bit more Balance in ure Stats
But i have to Say great Job
Not to Long bla bla what the skill do Everyone can Read
And should know Basics of the Skills

Monday, March 30th 2015, 7:51pm

A Knife

Beginner

One of the best build @ the mom close to my one
1 or 2 Changes
For 3 u Need 80 tena.
2 Its more than enough if u have 20
Try a bit more Balance in ure Stats
But i have to Say great Job
Not to Long bla bla what the skill do Everyone can Read
And should know Basics of the Skills
Thank you Ace 8)
As for s3 i did say it also depend on the gear, the better the gear the less tenacity you need. I have 10 or so enchanted blue gear items which add to my tankiness... but note taken. I did use to go with 70 tenacity when patch only came out and I didnt have gear.
for s2 note taken, thanks!

I will finish this guide tomorrow I hope, still missing the Physical part :) so stay tuned!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "A Knife" (Mar 30th 2015, 8:03pm)

Tuesday, March 31st 2015, 6:36pm

I have to say that your builds are nice and preatty balanced as well. So well done that you made me to make a palli. Can I use holy build for lvling?

Tuesday, March 31st 2015, 7:12pm

A Knife

Beginner

I have to say that your builds are nice and preatty balanced as well. So well done that you made me to make a palli. Can I use holy build for lvling?
Thank you Mr.Red! yes you can use it for leveling, but make sure you get the essentials of it because some rubies are not really needed when leveling..
something like this: Leveling Holy

Thursday, April 2nd 2015, 12:09am

Friday, April 3rd 2015, 10:17am

A Knife

Beginner

Go go Efi!
Awesome entry! : D

Wednesday, April 8th 2015, 10:01pm

Thank you, I used your PVE physical single target build on my pala, very helpful.

Thursday, April 9th 2015, 10:09am

Guide looks very nice, good intro, useful information, I liked pic with pvp dps. Overall very good guide I could say:
Best builds ever!
You are so awesome efi!

Friday, April 10th 2015, 11:32am

Ringelblume

Intermediate

Everything is nice written but,
waw ... why 60 - 80 tena for s3?

Are you tanking with 60 fable gear ? I mean .. wow .. its too much :3
You'll get tons of resistances with blue astral gear :pinch:

On P2P its enough to have 35-40 tena for s3.
I think on F2P its the same. (+ conclave)
(Russians on f2p are tanking s9 with only 50 tena) :pinch:

Also try to not facetanking everything :3 :|

For Talents try to take "Tenacity" only at rank 1. You only use that skill to rotate your barriers, so dont waste more talentpoints there.
Try to take "Shining Sword" minimum rank 2.

Since I only interested on tank builds I wont say anything about the other builds :3 ...
Мелоетта(Paladin) /Милоетта (Mage)
Server: Russian P2P
Fraction: League

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Ringelblume" (Apr 10th 2015, 11:38am)

Friday, April 10th 2015, 11:41am

Senpai

Intermediate

• "Senpai" has been banned

You'll get tons of resistances with blue astral gear :pinch:

(Russians on f2p are tanking s9 with only 50 tena) :pinch:

Also try to not facetanking everything :3 :|

For Talents try to take "Tenacity" only at rank 1. You only use that skill to rotate your barriers, so dont waste more talentpoints there.

Since I only interested on tank builds I wont say anything about the other builds :3 ...

I agree with Tenacity being r1 but, shining r3 is very helpful in pvp that 30s blind is nice compared to every 1m. Prefrence tho.
KAPPA

Friday, April 10th 2015, 12:15pm

A Knife

Beginner

You'll get tons of resistances with blue astral gea
(Russians on f2p are tanking s9 with only 50 tena)
I am currently pretty much full level 66 blues (missing only 3), so my resistance is pretty high, and I usualy go 60~ tenacity for s3 (including the conclave), and on occasion i still get a bit of wound complexity, but nothing a healer cant handle. I know that some other tanks go 80 or even higher. lower that 60 the tank most likely get wound complexity on boss fights, even to the red zone of it which make it hard for the healer, and when you got buffs like martyrs its risky XD
The more gear up you are, this number will drop down, and the stronger your party is the number will go down cuz they will kill faster.
Sound to me like stats are slighty different in P2P
Also try to not facetanking everything :3
O_O
I agree, in the PVP and DPS builds can drop Tenacity to rank 1 or 2 since the cooldown stay the same and grab higher rank of Shining Sword, As @Cryy also said. Its mostly a matter of preference and how much you find yourself using it. I might change it in my build tho and see if i do use it every 30 seconds in pvp.

ty for your points ^^

Friday, April 10th 2015, 12:34pm

Ringelblume

Intermediate

Its not different ... on p2p its harder x.x ...
We have less stats because of no cash shop elixers & conclave :pinch:
Btw you can buy tena-bufffood in koe :3

And also how to get more tena with less gear x.x ?

Atm i have 36,5 tena and it works nice. You need a balanced pt + knowlege how to tank a boss (tactics?)

Basically ‘Face-tanking’ means standing directly in front of an enemy and take all of his attacks.

For now you need a lot movement :3 There are so many tricks to avoid incomming damage :pinch:

Also The Skill Tenacity should be at rank 1 on every build :x .. higher is useless

Friday, April 10th 2015, 1:06pm

A Knife

Beginner

Oh trust me, we always follow tactics. And 'facetanking' works just fine unless boss has frontal aoe or circles or other stuff the tank can avoid, depends on the boss tactics. But this guide is not about astral tactics, just about paladin gameplay..
what im saying is because in P2P you get less stats all-in-all because there is no cash shop items like stat scrolls/conclave/elixirs im guessing they adjusted the stats to fit. meaning 35-40 tenacity in P2P is equal to higher number on F2P.
ah yeah and no defensive runes.

as for Tenacity skill, rank 3 in tank build is a nice thing to have, as it reduce more damage in rank 3 every 1.4 second :thumbup:

Friday, April 10th 2015, 1:30pm

Ringelblume

Intermediate

I think you dont know p2p Server ...

On P2P you have invis lv 10 def runes + 20 stats to distribute.
We are only missing cash shop elixers, conclave and patron 5.

For F2P it would be enough to have like 40 tena [Glyphs] + 9 [Elixer] + 2,5 [Tena Bufffood] + 12/21 conclave :3
If you are doing raid or pvp you can just change that cash shop stuff to vitality or willpower :pinch:

Of course its a guide about paly gameplay, but i just want to try to give you some advices to improve yourself.
Tenacity on rank 3 is still waste of talentpoints.

And as i said ... russians are tanking s9 with 50 tena. (F2P)

Friday, April 10th 2015, 1:46pm

A Knife

Beginner

No I dont know P2P server as i never tried (is why I said I'm guessing), but I do know F2P and for s3 60+ tenacity are needed on the current level of gear of the server, maybe a bit less if you have very high defensive runes or just very OP party. If you look up in the comments Ace mentioned he use 80 tenacity for s3- and with lower gear that is probably a good idea.
Less than 60 tenacity will be possible, but you will most probably get yellow-red wound (in F2P), and we do not want to make our healer to be pissed for healing through red wound XD

This is not my opinion, just how it is. And I've talks to other tanks as well about stats.

So lets just agree you know better than me as for P2P server (I know nothing lol), and over there you need 35-40 as you said (I'll take your word^^)

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "A Knife" (Apr 10th 2015, 1:56pm)

Friday, April 10th 2015, 3:37pm

Ringelblume

Intermediate

I think you missunderstanding smth ... before i write something I want to make sure that i dont want to badtalking you.

I try to explain again ... P2P Astral = the same = F2P Astral
I talked to few tanks on F2P + show videos / screenshoots. They confirmed that they get same (nearly/depends on runes/gear) amount of incomming damage.

Now I will try again to explain ... F2P = more stats, because of cash shop
So if we can handle s3 with nearly half of your tenacity (thats not easy) then it shows that you are a full face-tanking-paly. (with 80 tena O_o)
I mean ... If ppl have that much tena they should have less vitality. Tenacity depends on Vitality. (more information at the end of that message)
I know Ace from F2P. I can tell you that he isnt that good tank. He can play DPS by pressing 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 but thats it.
For now you need a lot movement for everything.
To be sure that you dont missunderstand smth ... s3 is rlly hard. We are getting wounds. But only because we are missing statpoints.
We could put our 20 stats on tenacity but then dps will miss. So there is no other way.

So I would prefer to new ppl to do s1 / s2 to gear up and just collect Hearts in s3 with helping hand. In that way you can upgrade your gear safely to 66.

I never said that I / other tanks with 35 - 40 dont get wounds.
Also you have to understand ... thats a PMB = mostly for beginners or ppl who want to try new class
So tell me please how to reach 60 - 80 tena as beginner?
Do you want to tell them that they have to farm tons of gold to buy that cash shop scrolls ?
Or do you want to say that they have to spend tons of Money [€ / $] to get that stats ?

Aaaaaand thats why i said ... 40 tena from glyphs is enough :3 ! Rest is just push from cash shop :3

Friday, April 10th 2015, 3:53pm

40 tena for s3 if you know to kite properly
60+ tena (impossible in p2p atm) for s3 if you have no idea how to delay wounds and just facetank everything.

I did my first s3 with barely 5k armor and 35 tena. Would have got wounds in 15 seconds if i facetanked, but i didn't.

Rate this thread