You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Allods Online Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, May 9th 2014, 8:52am

Qaraur

Beginner

• "Qaraur" started this thread

[PMB] Paladin by Qaraur

Cześć! Hello! Servus! Ciao! ¡Hola! Selam!

The fact that you are here means that you want to know how paladin works. I will try to convey my knowledge to you.

Table of Contents
  1. Who am I?
  2. Changes... changes everywhere.
  3. A few words about Paladin.
    1. Barriers
    2. Canons
    3. Racial skills
  4. Reincarnations:
    1. Holy Tank
    2. Physical DPS
  5. Holy tank:
    1. Stats
    2. Talents
    3. Rubies
    4. Rotations
    5. Reincarnation
  6. DPS:
    1. Stats
    2. Talents
    3. Rubies
    4. Rotations
    5. Reincarnation
  7. Useful links
  8. Summation

1.Who am I?

My name is Qaraur, Orc, Paladin, proud member of Polish Husaria. My main role in a party is a tank. What I do? I usually tries to piss of enemies – to make them want to kill me more then they want to kill you. Yes! I’m the one who(with a little help of a healer) is trying to save your life.
But sometimes(in raids mostly) I grab my giant scythe and become a bloodthirsty barbarian with only one goal-to kill everything.
In this topic I will try to show you my way of being a Paladin. You can find here my builds, skill rotations, stats, tips for holy tank and physical DPS builds. Both of them will be described closely. Many of you will think that it is too long and that rubies/talents are described unnecessarily but be aware of the fact that many of them are translated incorrectly in game/calculators – so this description may be useful for new players.

2.Changes.

Heart of the World brought us two changes:
  1. Damage from the skills Anathema and Interdiction has been reduced by 2 times. Less damage from AOE. And this is all we can tell about this change.
  2. Stats.
    Stats are not the same anymore. We have now:
    • Proficiency - Increases your base damage by the % of the stat.
    • Determination - Increases your damage when you’re being attacked.
    • Brutality - Increases your damage as your target loses health.
    • Anger - Similar to Rage in the previous system. Now wound complexity builds up over time, rather than immediately at the start of combat.
    • Vitality - Increases your health.
    • Willpower - For every second under control effects you receive X% resistance. When that reaches 100% you will receive immunity to control effects for Y seconds.
    • Bloodlust - Heals you for X% of your damage and Y% of your heals.
    • Tenacity - Reduces the speed that you receive wound complexity.
    • Luck - Gives you X% chance to inflict critical damage.
    • Faith - Increases your mana.
More about stats you will find in builds section.

3.What is Paladin made of?

1. Barriers

Barriers may be confusing for new paladins but this is really a very simple thing.
    Paladin is protected by 3(with rubies) Holy Barriers that store damage for 10 seconds. If Paladin receives greater damage then stored, this new damage replaces the previous amount, which is inflicted to the Paladin.
    Maximum amount of damage stored in each barrier is limited by 50% of maximum Paladin's health. All damage exceeding this amount is inflicted instantly and not stored.
    Barriers can be managed by Paladin spells that:
    • Break barrier;
    • Decrease or completely remove damage stored in barrier(s);
    • Refresh duration of barrier;
    • Use part of stored damage to attack enemy.

2. Canons
    Three Canons of Light and three Canons of Purity are given to Paladin. They are required to perform some abilities.
    • Canons of Light can be used to cast healing, protection, control and area-of-effect spells. Canons of Light are restored automatically, one Canon per 10 seconds.
    • Canons of Purity can be used for special attacks. Canons of Light are restored automatically, one per 10 seconds when not in combat and one per 15 seconds when in combat.

3. Racial skills
    • Exhaust Evil. Orc racial skill. Great AOE damage. Very useful in Physical DPS build.
    • Zealous Blow. Kanian racial skill. Inflicts great damage plus additional damage every 2 seconds over 20 seconds. Useful in Physical DPS build during boss fights and in PvP.
    • Pious Words. Elf racial skill. Inflicts no damage to the target, but puts a curse that decreases incoming healing for 20 seconds. In my opinion the most useless paladin racial skill because of the fact that amount of blocked heal is negligible.
    • Rousing Shout. Xadaganian racial skill. Decreases the amount of damage stored in all holy barriers. My favorite. Great for tank spec and in PvP.

4.Reincarnations:
  1. Holy Tank:
    If you want to focus on skills that will increase your survivability you can take:
    • Healers Divine Foresight- extra heal in critical situations.
    • Barriers from Mage - What can be better then barriers that absorb damage?
    • Natural Balance from Warden - good but it is healers job to have this skill. After Heart of the World it is no need to have 2 Natural Balances in party due to the fact of global cooldown.

If you are PvP oriented you can also take:
    • Fear from Summoner - very useful in 1 versus 1 fights.
    • Charge from Warrior - extra knockdown. Yay!
    • Speed of the Damned from Scout - nice but I prefer Charge which has similar effect + extra knockdown.

2. Physical DPS:
    • Adrenaline Rush from Warrior. In my opinion the best and only sensible choice.

Friday, May 9th 2014, 8:52am

Qaraur

Beginner

5.Holy tank!

This build was developed with a view to be used in PvE, but is good for PvP also. With great survivability, quite good damage, and a few CC skills you are unstoppable.
  1. Before I show you my talents and rubies I would like to tell something about stats – the main thing that changed after Heart of the World.
    As a tank your main tasks are to hold aggro from start of a battle to end and to survive as long as it is possible. You don’t have to be in the top of DPS table(you can, you will often be, but it is not the most important aspect of tanking).
    What is the hardest thing in keeping aggro? The start of the fight. That’s why Brutality is not so important for holy tanks.
    How about Determination? This stat is… controversial. It was supposed to be great for tanks(both warriors and paladins). There is no other stat that will increase damage of tank more. But then I tried it… It takes too much time to grow. This happens because of the fact that Determination grows after barrier is destroyed what takes some time. As I said final DPS is not the thing tanks should worry about.
    That’s why in my opinion main offensive stat Holy Tank should focus on is Proficiency. It will give you bigger damage(aggro) from the start of the fight when the rest of the stats are not working.
    Of course Determination can’t be skipped completely.
    When we talk about defensive stats Vitality gives you the most(and this should be your main defensive statistic), but tanks can’t forget about Tenacity for longer fights.
  2. Let’s move on to talents tree:
    • Barriers mean survivability so you need skills to control them:
      • Overcome. Rank 3
      • Tenacity. Rank 3
      • Deliverance. Rank3

• Strike of justice. Rank 1 is enough. Rarely used in PvE due to the fact that we usually start fight from a distance. Useful in PvP – knockdown is always good in PvP.
    • Condemnation. Rank 3. Good DOT – keep it on your target/targets all the time.
    • Particle of Light/Touch of Light. Rank 1 but if you have more talent points you can boost it.
      Paladins role in a party is to protect the rest, not only to keep agro. When the situation is critical absorbing damage can save someone.
    • Righteous Word. Rank 3. The most important skill for holy tank. It increases your aggro by 100%(250% with rubies).
    • Anathema/Interdiction. Rank 3. Our only AOE. It spreads Condemnation effect to all enemies within 10 yards radius.
    • Solemn Prayer. Rank 3. Heals all party members within 20 yards.
    • Shining Sword. Rank 3. Very useful in PvP. Good in PvE too, especially when you fight with a mob that is like “I don’t care about aggro, I want to kill this mage!”. In PvE causes similar effect to fear.
    • Sacred Sunrise. Rank 3. Extra damage is good. Nothing more to say.
    • Autodafe. Rank3. Very useful in PvP. Good in PvE for the similar reason as Shining Sword.

3. Rubies
    • Stats rubies:
      • Zealots Fury. Rank 3. Determination increased by X points. Important;
      • Disciple’s Power. Rank 3. Proficiency increased by X points. Important;
      • Divine Purpose. Rank 1. Brutality increased by X points. Brutality is not necessary to keep aggro so if you do not have many rubies skip this one;
      • Monk’s Reflexes. Rank 3. Tenacity increased by X points. Important;
      • Righteous Vitality. Rank3. What can I say? The more HP you have the better tank you are. Important;
      • Will of the Hermit. Rank 1. Willpower increased by X points. This stat is good in PvP but useless in PvE. If you are going to use holy tank build in PvP and have more rubies this is a good investment.

• Challenge. Extremely useful in every situation(PvE, PvP, raids). Very important;
    • Martyr’s Gift. Rank 3. Damage of main holy skills increased. Important;
    • Righteous Force. Rank 3. Cooldown of main holy skills decreased. Important;
    • Guilty Conscience. Rank 3. Extra damage and threat from Righteous Word. Very important;
    • Outrage. Rank 3. Cast time and energy cost of Sacred Sunrise decreased. Important;
    • Exorcism. Rank 3. More damage from Condemnation. Important;
    • Reparation. Very useful but not necessary;
    • Devoted Plea. Rank 3. Cooldown and energy cost of your healing/absorbing skills decreased. Good but not necessary – if you don’t have enough rubies you can skip this to Rank 1;
    • Purifier. Rank 2. Critical chance of main holy skills increased. Damage from Condemnation increased. Important;
    • Self-healing. Rank 3. Nothing to say. Very important;
    • Departing Light. Rank 3. Almost permanent buff that increase received amount of healing. Barriers skills do not have energy cost. Important;
    • Extra Barrier. Rank 2. Easy math. The more barriers you have the more tough you are. Very important;
    • Protection of Faith. Rank 3. Cooldown on skills to control barriers is decreased. Important;
    • Absolution. Rank 2. You receive X% less damage when you break your barrier. Good but not as important as it could be;
    • Justice. Rank 3. Damage of your AOE increased and incoming damage decreased when you fight with a group of enemies. Important;
    • Combat Inspiration. Rank 2. Parry chance increased. Important;
    • Canon of Light. Rank 3. Canons are restored faster. Very important;
    • Self-sacrifice. Restores Canons. Useful;

Comment: I will not talk about rubies I didn’t take with one exception:

• Certain Victory. Rank 0. Controversial. Many holy tank’s builds contain this ruby on rank 3. There are opinions that it doesn’t work for holy damage, but there are also voices that it is useful. I do not care about it. As I said earlier: final DPS is not so important for tanks. I preferred to spend rubies for increasing my/party survivability.

4. Rotations
    • One target(boss, harder mob)

Quoted from "Qaraur"

Commentary:
      Start fight with Sacred Sunrise, then use Righteous Word. It will increase your aggro and activate effect from Sacred Sunrise. Next you should apply DOT from Condemnation. This is time for next Sacred Sunrise -> Righteous Word combination.
      Tips:
      • Use Challenge if it is necessary;
      • Keep effects of Righteous Word and Condemnation on target all the time;
      • Use Interdiction only to refresh Condemnation effect. This skill do little damage and there are better ways to spend Canons of Light.

• Group of mobs:

Quoted from "Qaraur"

= target changing.
      Start fight with Condemnation followed by Interdiction to spread DOT to all enemies. This combination will allow healers to start healing almost imidiatelly. Then you should use Righteous Word which job is to increase your aggro. It is time to change target. Use Challenge - because your Righteous Word is still on cooldown, then attack with Interdiction to refresh Condemnation effect and to hit all targets again. Another target changing followed with Righteous Word and Interdiction. Repeat last 3 steps.
      This rotation was developed with a view to be used in fights against group of mobs that can be killed in full AOE mode.
      Tips:
      • When group is harder, remember that you can use your party members to stun a few targets(ex. Mages have Ice Grave).
      • When there are mobs that do not care about aggro, you can use your Shining Sword or Autodafe to make them unable to attack any of your party members.

Friday, May 9th 2014, 8:53am

Qaraur

Beginner

6.Bloodthirsty Barbarian(Physical DPS)

Before I start you have to know one thing: If we are Damage Dealers we have only one task – be first in DPS when fight ends. We are barbarians! We don’t care about survivability!
  1. Stats:
    This is easy. You have 2 options:
    • You can assume that tanks keeps aggro perfectly and distribute stat points in this way:
      • 50% to Proficiency;
      • 50% to Brutality;
      This will give you the best efficiency in dealing damage.
    • On the other hand, you can assume that tanks are also humans (Demigods but still human partly) and that sometimes you can be hit. If your average amount of Determination is more then 40% then the best way to distribute stats is:
      • 35% to Proficiency;
      • 35% to Brutality;
      • 30% to Determination;

Quoted from "Qaraur"

Comment: I prefer the second option. From my own experience I know that bosses have AOE skills and that not every mob care about aggro.

2. Time for talent tree:
    • Our main damage skills:
      • Crusader Blow/Seal. Rank 3
      • Purifying Strike. Rank 3
      • Retribution/Entangling Chains. Rank 3

• Condemnation. Rank 3. Good DOT – keep it on your target/targets all the time.
    • Anathema/Interdiction. Rank 2. It spreads Condemnation effect to all enemies within 8 yards radius.
    • Solemn Prayer. Rank 2 but if you have more talent points you can boost it. Heals all party members within 20 yards.
    • Shining Sword. Rank 3. Useful, especially when you fight with a mob that is like “I don’t care about aggro, I want to kill this mage!”. It causes a similar effect to fear in PvE.
    • Aura of Ferocity. Rank 3. Increasing damage is always good.
    • Righteous Cause. Rank 3. Use it during boss fights. Great boost
    • Pious Anger. Rank 3. Increase your damage and melee attack range for 12 seconds.

3. Rubies:
    • Stats rubies:
      • Zealots Fury. Rank 3. Determination increased by X points. Important;
      • Disciple’s Power. Rank 2. Proficiency increased by X points. Important;
      • Divine Purpose. Rank 3. Brutity increased by X points. Important;
      • Righteous Vitality. Rank 1. Free HP points;

• Rubies that increase your physical skills damage(important):
      • Searing Justice. Rank 2;
      • Mighty Strikes. Rank 3;
      • Concentration. Rank 3;
      • Power of Purity. Rank 3;

• Rubies that strengthen Righteous Cause effect:
      • Rage of Light. Rank 3. Cooldown and energy cost decreased. Very important;
      • Righteous Rage. Rank 3. Duration of the effect increased. Very important;

• Onslaught. Rank 3. Decrease cooldown and energy cost of your physical skills. Important;
    • Angelic Harbinger. Rank 3. Increase your physical skills critical strike. Important;
    • Chastising Strike. Rank 3. AOE damage. Good but not necessary if you are one target oriented;
    • Vitality. Rank3. Energy regenerates faster. Very Important;
    • Reparation. Very useful but not necessary;
    • Exorcism. Rank 3. More damage from Condemnation. Important;
    • Devoted Plea. Rank 3. Cooldown and energy cost of Solemn Prayer decreased. Good;
    • Purifier. Rank 2. Critical chance of Anathema/Interdiction increased. Damage from Condemnation increased. Important;
    • Canon of Light. Canons are restored faster. Very important;

4. Rotations
    • One target(boss, harder mob):

Quoted from "Qaraur"

This is easy. Start with Condemnation, then use Crusader Seal twice to decrease energy cost of your next attack - Purifying Strike. This combination will give three stacks of Divine Sentence. It is perfect time to use Retribution.
      Tip: During harder fights use:
      • Righteous Cause;
      • Pious Anger;
      • Common Potion of Concentration - Alchemy potion that increases your energy regeneration.
      • Adrenaline Rush

It will greatly increase your damage.

• Group of mobs:

Quoted from "Qaraur"

This is similar to "one target" rotation. Just use your AOE skills - Interdiction, Chastising Strike and Exhaust Evil(Orc racial) - when you can.

7.Useful links

1. Allods Oracle - Great source of knowledge and news.
  2. Allods Wiki - Database and talents/rubies calculator.
  3. Allods EU - Main page of Allods EU.

8.Summation

After this article I would like you to remember only two things:
  1. If you are Holy Tank, DPS is not what you should focus on. Keeping aggro and staying alive is more important. Many tanks forget about it.
  2. On the other hand, when you are DD – you do not care about anything besides final DPS. You can die after using one skill if this one skill would make you the best damage dealer in your party/raid.

Tip: To be best in something you have to focus on your goal and try to reach it. Don’t try to be good in everything.

Now when you know theory it is the best time to practice.

Hope I helped, Qaraur(also known as Qcek)

Sunday, May 11th 2014, 8:20am

Hi. I'm pretty new to being paladin (well, I'm lvl 47, but I still feel pretty new). I scewed up my build at the very beginning, so I'm not gonna lie, I suck right now, but luckily, there's still Water of Life... Nevermind that, I have a question about dps build. You maxed out both Crusader Blow/Seal, and Retribution/Entangling Chains. Is it possible to max out just one of the pair (and I'm thinking about the one coming with later, since it has slightly better damage)? I'm asking that, because I realised they share cooldown and I feel it would be waste of points to max out both...

Sunday, May 11th 2014, 9:08am

Qaraur

Beginner

You have to max Crusader Blow if you want to max Crusader Seal. The same situation with Retribution/Entalngling Chains.

Sunday, May 11th 2014, 10:28am

Ah, thanks. I wasn't sure about that, so I prefered to ask before screwing up again.