You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Allods Online Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, September 29th 2021, 8:33pm

Why is this Game So Expensive?

I've always known the game was expensive when I used to be big into it, but getting back into it is just impossible due to how much is expected of you. I play on the F2P server because that's where I started and I've invested far too much to switch to the P2P server. I look in the cash shop and see that this game literally expects about $50 a month, just to be competent, and even has monthly rewards for well beyond that. I just don't understand. I want to play and I want to experience the game, but it's just not worth spending literal hundreds of dollars on. There are so many typos and glitches and "just have to live with it" kind of things in the game, yet all I see are "give us more money" things on the news feed. I honestly feel I could drop $100 into the game right now, even with the bonus premium crystals, spend it all, and be almost no further than where I was when I started, with the game still telling me I need to spend more.

I have a passion for this game. I fell in love with it back in the day and unintentionally spent about $200 in a month when I first got my job and no concept of "it adds up" spending yet. I don't regret it. This game has given me such amazing memories. It just breaks my heart to see it monetized so hard. It's like, the developers do such a good job making an interesting world, with good music and atmosphere, but then the ones who run the game get greedy and stingy. I honestly feel they only cater to whales.

At least the customer support has been really good with my issues lately. I applaud that team and the developers of the game, but good grief. I wonder if this game would become way more popular and well known if they'd just make it more accessible by dropping the prices of some things by 50% and some of the more expensive things by about 90%. I honestly feel spending $1,000 on the game, even if just $100 a month, should be enough to get everything the cash shop has to offer at the time, but that's just not the case here. I feel I'll have to spend at least $30,000 to $40,000 to do that, which is in the realm of insanity to me.

Thursday, September 30th 2021, 11:15am

i honestly dont get it why some people have trouble with this topic

being a free player for so many years and gaining basically everything (except the orange / teal earringslot) including level 9 runes ingame i can certainly say that over time, as an active player, you will get everything useful

so unless you spend all of your gold on consumables which leave you back with nothing, or vanity which has no statpoints, you should be fine

given on how LARGE this game is with all its content, it is no wonder it takes time to achieve certain goals - but this is not a bad thing considering how dull games feel where you are done after 2 weeks playing
there are already so many "shortcuts" and so many things that allow to really fast catch up

so instead of expensive i would call thing game wide-ranging in terms of character-development - as you can speed up most things with a donation, things CAN get expensive but its your decision

where you say you could donate 100$ and nothing would change, thats equivalent to saying you could spend 1 hour and nothing would change (where nothing means very little)
the further your character-development goes, the longer things take - thats what keeps the game interesting, at least for many including myself

i am unhappy when games that are "over" fast, losing interest in a game you enjoy is a sad thing
allods is one of the few which have kept my interest over time, i am in this game over 10 years now :love:
i still see (lots) of things i want to do and still have not done

now i certainly could just invest some $ and have all at once but that would mean i would deprive myself of all that process of gaining that gold ingame
its like when you play diablo 2 and give yourself everything in character editor and suddenly you are done with the game ._.
the pleasent way is gaining all these things

unlinke in real life, where it is great to be set for life and having nothing to do, knowing you could just do nothing all day and still have everything, in games, the journey is the reward

Thursday, September 30th 2021, 12:37pm

I play on the F2P server because that's where I started and I've invested far too much to switch to the P2P server.

This.
If people keep falling over this, you've just become your own money's slave.

Thursday, September 30th 2021, 2:36pm

i honestly dont get it why some people have trouble with this topic

being a free player for so many years and gaining basically everything (except the orange / teal earringslot) including level 9 runes ingame i can certainly say that over time, as an active player, you will get everything useful

so unless you spend all of your gold on consumables which leave you back with nothing, or vanity which has no statpoints, you should be fine

given on how LARGE this game is with all its content, it is no wonder it takes time to achieve certain goals - but this is not a bad thing considering how dull games feel where you are done after 2 weeks playing
there are already so many "shortcuts" and so many things that allow to really fast catch up

so instead of expensive i would call thing game wide-ranging in terms of character-development - as you can speed up most things with a donation, things CAN get expensive but its your decision

where you say you could donate 100$ and nothing would change, thats equivalent to saying you could spend 1 hour and nothing would change (where nothing means very little)
the further your character-development goes, the longer things take - thats what keeps the game interesting, at least for many including myself

i am unhappy when games that are "over" fast, losing interest in a game you enjoy is a sad thing
allods is one of the few which have kept my interest over time, i am in this game over 10 years now :love:
i still see (lots) of things i want to do and still have not done

now i certainly could just invest some $ and have all at once but that would mean i would deprive myself of all that process of gaining that gold ingame
its like when you play diablo 2 and give yourself everything in character editor and suddenly you are done with the game ._.
the pleasent way is gaining all these things

unlinke in real life, where it is great to be set for life and having nothing to do, knowing you could just do nothing all day and still have everything, in games, the journey is the reward

I agree this with every words.

Get everything in weeks or months, feel you succeed and delete the game. After that switch to a new game. Perspective on the games is like this nowadays; disposable.

Allods offers more than that, Allods gives a long-term path to purpose to player, that's what makes Allods special. I am here for over 10 years but Allods is not suitable for people who want to get everything right away and are bored.

There are many games in the format you want, but there is no game like Allods.
Астафьева

Thursday, September 30th 2021, 5:54pm

I don't disagree with your points, but you all are kinda missing my own points. I have a long history with this game too. I played heavily for its first 3 years, and then kinda just lingered for another 4th year. I was a F2P player for what I consider my favorite timespan, and I ended up enough cash shop stuff to be competent while spending little to nothing.

My point is that the things in the cash shop are outrageously overpriced. They honestly expect individuals to by literal hundreds of strongboxes every single day while a sale event is going. They outright lie when they say "lottery" when it's actually a contest of who opens more. There is no chance involved. It's all about who's the bigger whale. The upper premium bonuses are absurd too, requiring a ludicrous amount of monthly investment just to get 4th or higher level. Then there's runes. I spent literal years playing, but I don't even have a single level 9 or higher.

I'm not saying anything about wanting to get everything fast. I have a strong distaste for the miraculous ark for that exact reason. However, some things in the game take TOO long, if you actually play actively on more than 1 incarnation.

Anyway, my main point is that the cash shop just expects way too much from its players. It's incredibly disheartening. It's beyond lunacy that they expect some players to spend $200+ a month on this game, proof being the Premium bonus levels. Why pay that much when you could play a better game like FF14 or WoW for less than 10% of that price? The only thing keeping me playing Allods is the nostalgia factor and my fond history.

Thursday, September 30th 2021, 11:10pm

when you play 3 years active and semi-active for another so 4 in total, of course you have "less" than someone playing straight every day fully active for 10 years
allods being a progressive games means the more time (and time is exchangeable with money in most cases) is spent, the stronger you become

contrary, those who have invested LESS time than you will be below you of course in means of possession of rare items. these items can make up a little of gear-deficit but not completely replace a proper set of gear.
so being a veteran, you can afford to slack a little bit

now of course things are not so strict in reality and basically, every gearreset (every few months) ANYBODY can be top competitive theoretically, given he is willing to put the effort it takes to properly gear up (confession: i often do not put the needed effort)
even if you have less items than another player and probably runes level 7 or 8, you will be able to win a 1 vs 1 fight against someone with "full items" (including runes lv 13)
also, if you play active, you will get all useable / reasonable items soon for sure for small money by picking up tradeoffers from worldchat or monitoring auctions

in the end it comes down to what spec you have (preparation, specific PVP build!), how good you understand the gamemechanics ("skill", knowledge) and most important your gear (effort) - itemshops and runes are a great bonus but not what decides the game at the end... itemshop and runes are compareable to a multiplier while gear is the base number... low base number, multiplier wont matter so much...

in the past i made a thread listing pretty much ALL factors if victory in a PVP battle, if you want to read and cant find it tell me and i will search and post it again

--

so lets start discussing the point you made... there are people for which money is not a concern so much and there are those, who are not concerned about money at all due to being clever in RL or being lucky. it is a reasonable decision when running a FREE game to offer these people a proper "thank you" for donating. lets be honest. if you open 500 strongboxes... what do you get? basically the same as someone who just "snipes" a tradeoffer / auction - the main item. the box-opener gets those collectors coins (what REAL use do they have...?) and they get the prize of the "daily lottery" which is this turret that not really matters at he end, a larger sum of gold (does not really matter aswell if you donate you can get huge masses of gold by exchange anyway) and a special SKIN (again, gameplaywise irrelevant)

you just get things a bit faster than if you wait for auctions or traders
AND there is the SMALL chance of getting the item a LOT cheaper in CASE you are LUCKY - some players enjoy this kind of gamble

in the whole game, there are only 3 kinds of strongboxes where i participated, i farmed 30.000 BC+ in advance for the lightningbolt and later the monolith. i won the lightning bolt VERY lucky after a few boxes already - so it was even ceahper than buying from auction or trade
the monolith however i spent over 30.000 BC in total (also farmed) and barely got all the 100 parts needed to build it

all other items i bought directly for gold from an auction or direct trade which saved me a TON of gold

for reference: being an ACTIVE farmer makes you AROUND 350 BC a day, being an ACTIVE trader means no limit in gains, just like in RL

--

premium bonuses are aswell nice (really) but just a matter of comfort at the end of the day. what of these things is actually useful? a dedicated player has all these things (only exception is the automatic emergency suit repair thing) so he wont need them anyway. though its maybe interesting for example to get this coremorpher or these temporary level 13 runes or whatever. when i looked at the boni i saw nothing i do not already have and want (again, only exception is the automatic emergency suit repair thing, but you can automate that otherwise so its not relevant)
other than that: some special emojis (???), more of these BG emblems (you get them anyway) - i dont remember the rest accurately, it was something not relevant to me

about runes in general, as noted above, they are pretty much a multiplier of the power of your gear
having the highest level of runes, there is not so much difference to someone having them a bit lower. i can comfortably say with level 8 runes, you dont really need to worry

you might want to try seeing the cash shop as something that does not demand anything of you. try to see it as an option to get a little "thank you" if you donate for this wonderful game - a thank you as of getting things a bit ahead of those who do not donte

so why would you donate 200$+ ? there are only 2 reasons to do so. "1" is you want things faster than through ingame-gold-gaining and "2" is you want to support the game. for some its maybe a mix of both.

if one would like FF14 or wow better than allods, i assume he would play these anyway? why wouldnt he?
i play allods because i like it more than these games, i really love this game; still. only wish i had more time to play it :pinch:

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "ALLODS-ONLINE-PLAYER" (Sep 30th 2021, 11:22pm)

Friday, October 1st 2021, 6:27pm

Yeah, I guess you're right. I never really considered buying crystals over time before since they've always been extremely expensive to me.

Allods has just become far too slow for me over the years. I've never been good at grinding gold. I've never enjoyed PvP. I'm the kind of player that enjoys getting things done moderately fast with enough hard work and spending more time enjoying something rather than working for it. I think I'll just keep doing what I'm doing now and just casually play every now and then to enjoy the story and atmosphere. I got my "story" incarnation up to 40 the other day, and I enjoyed the trip.

Friday, October 1st 2021, 9:26pm

i am happy we had a fruitful conversation about this
good job leveling to 40 so fast

for me leveling was always the most exciting part of the game (and the PVP that occurs WHILE the leveling, especially in asee teph!)

with enjoying the tory and atmosphere you cant do anything wrong
allods is a great "singleplayergame" aswell :love:

Saturday, October 2nd 2021, 4:32pm

The main thing keeping me coming back is the nostalgia factor. Please don't mistake my petty whining for hatred towards the game. I used to have such a powerful passion for this game. It's changed so much from what I loved, but much of the core is still intact for me to enjoy. I also enjoy leveling alot. I'm the kind of player that enjoys the feeling of progression, and as I said earlier, the amount of grinding at endgame feels way too slow for my liking, but leveling is perfect. It feels like leveling is an effort investment, rather than a time investment. With the proper know-how and enough power, I could speed up leveling tremendously. Likewise, I could also just laze back and enjoy it like a cruise.

I guess another problem I have with the speed of the game is that I'm a bit of an altoholic, lol. I crave variety and I love being able to just switch to a different character when I want. I guess I just fear that I simply don't have the time to invest into more than 2 or 3 characters at a time and also still feel that feeling of progression.

Come to think about it, I think this has helped me discover the main problem that I have with the game. It wasn't like this when I started playing. I like to feel like I can dramatically speed things up if I can put in enough effort, but over the years, the developers have implemented more and more ways to make the game longer, discrediting short bursts of effort like I prefer doing for the bulk of things. I just feel like I could play casually for a week and be 7% towards an overall 0.25% power upgrade, or I could put in alot of diligent effort and be 80% towards that same 0.25% boost. Either way, I end up with 0% boost at the end, and even if I did hit it, I couldn't feel a 0.25% boost.

I think I just have to accept that Allods just isn't my game. I've had this problem with it ever since they introduced gear upgrading, the same patch that rose the level cap to 45.I still played diligently, about 10 hours a day, until the level cap was about 51, then I started slacking. I wanted to hold on so bad. I had a 2nd family in my guild, and the game was another life for me. But the game just drifted too far from what I fell in love with in the beginning. Oh well. I can still enjoy the nostalgia and atmosphere. It's still the same <3

Sunday, October 3rd 2021, 2:09am

we know there are players who blame their own inability to play properly on everything else but themselves (the same that call everyone a hacker and aimbot in shootergames as soon as they get fragged)

however i did not see your writing as a brainless flaming at all but rather an invitation to have a constructive discussion - exactly what we had in the end :thumbup:

the nostalgia factor is aswell very strong in allods
since we have al-riagt as a gearing-zone i am quite happy with gearup given you can effectively get up to 109% being a soloplayer just doing dailies

i am currently getting orange gear by replacing my old purple parts, every new part feels like a great achievement
similar to you, i enjoy multiple characters as i like to change classes. this ended in having 13 chars on the main (1 progenitor and 12 reincarnations) on max level with a personal allod and horns of plenty, along with many more additional max level chars. due to the servermerges, i have triple the amount of chars you can normally have now. everyone of them is able to get me some gold, i think you can imagine where this leads

if you really want to put the effort and level your chars, do it. for the reincarnations its the easiest way as they share everything with the progenitor
leveling your reincarnations benefits your main char aswell by the rein-skills AND the additional gold these make :thumbsup:

but if this is too much, you can still do as you wish - play casually, play only from time to time and enjoy the nostalgia, play not at all... you decide
game will be there and welcome you back with open arms :)

Rate this thread