You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Allods Online Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, October 16th 2015, 8:58pm

Gheistlocke

Beginner

• "Gheistlocke" started this thread

ALLODS: Breaking the "wow clone" trend and highlighting potential

Greetings My.com readers and fellow Allods fans,

Surely this has all been said before, but I hope you will bear with me.

Firstly, I'm going to state a fact stronger than opinion: Allods Online is perhaps the best designed tab-target MMORPG out there. Story, graphics, gameplay dynamic, music, originality... Allods has it all. The only problem is... The vast majority of people can't tell, even if they give the game a solid chance.

Allods Online's biggest strength is its Astral Ship content. To this day, there is still nothing like it. The only MMO I know of right now that has anything like it is ArcheAge, which is a way newer release. (I think DAoC or something like that had ship content similar to ArcheAge, or I should say ArcheAge is similar to DAoC or whichever older game it is)

Why hasn't this been acknowledged by putting effort into expanding the availability of Astral Ship content? New players must, they MUST be introduced to the unique and attention grabbing part of Allods that is Astral Ships much, much faster than they currently are. I'm talking by level 10 or 15 maximum. If players wind up skipping over every quest zone in the game in lieu of grinding out allods with their Astral ship crews, then so be it. Because right now, I play on the subscription server and there's no one in those quest zones anyway.

Several years ago, I brought a guild of players to Allods and we did a review. While doing that review, we established an active 100+ member leveling and entry-level endgame guild. At the time, a player could start his or her astral shenanigans at level 30 but there was no point. Questing and quest-line dungeons were far superior, and tooling around in the astral was only detrimental to character growth. Every single, and I mean EVERY single guild member (both the ones we brought and the ones we picked up along the way) that quit Allods Online did so because by the time they were anywhere near end game, they felt the game was just another same-old-same WoWish MMORPG. Those that made it to endgame eventually quit entirely because of the masochistic nature of entry-level PvP and the imbalance of fighting p2w runed players. Anyone leftover left because everyone else had left.

The rune imbalance and p2w issues has been solved entirely with the arrival of the new p2p subscription server, Smuggler's Paradise.

I beg you, I implore you to make astral ship content not only accessible to newbie players but make that content just as worthwhile in terms of leveling as if the player was simply grinding quests. Please, My.com, please please please do this BEFORE Allods Online hits Steam's download library.

If we do not bring the aspect of Astral Ship content to the foreground where it belongs, we are destined to fail. I know I am a nothing nobody, I know I am just some faceless player... I am sure of this, though. I know it in my gut. Allods Online will forever be unjustly deemed "another WoW clone" until any given player can experience Astral Ship content within the average attention span timeline of the MMO community.

Thanks for your time and thanks for listening!
::Ghesitlocke::
Arisen Occultist
....555/667....

::Ogreleg::
Arisen Heretic

MMO Experience:
- WoW, Age of Wushu, Tera, SWTOR, Swordsman, Atlantica, EVE, Allods, Secret World, Star Trek Online, ArcheAge, Age of Conan, Diablo 2*, Diablo 3*, Path of Exile*, Champions Online, Skyforge

Favorites:
- WoW: Vanilla - Wrath, Age of Wushu, Allods, EVE, Diablo 2*, Path of Exile*, Age of Conan

Ruined by Pay-to-Win:
- Age of Wushu, ArcheAge, Allods (free server), Diablo 3*

Waiting for:
- Star Citizen

Friday, October 16th 2015, 9:32pm

Gheistlocke

Beginner

Also...

There is much talk of a lack of advertising, and this is 100% true. However, I would pose this:

Allods Online is kept alive by a very loyal community. The people that continue to play genuinely love the game. In all reality, any given MMO is shaped not just by those that make it or run it but by those that play it. The most literal example being that with no players, you have no game. We can easily find deeper nuances, though.

Perhaps it's time to put our money where our mouths are, so to speak. Look at entiities like Facebook. Facebook, in actuality, has almost nothing of its own other than a medium. Almost the entirety of Facebook and what is on it is "user generated content". Perhaps we, the users, can form an advertising team and get shit done. I would put my time in effort into it with enthusiasm if I felt that it could give me another chance at sailing my Astral Ship through a sector full of other player ships. Of course, my support would only be towards the p2p server. As long as runes are around the f2p server is dead to me, and frankly dead to anyone that wants to PvP at all.

I'm going to put together a video or two, maybe make some banners or something. If anyone has ideas or knowledge on how to "get the word out" once material is provided beyond simply uploading to YouTube or something, I'd say we should collaborate.

Meanwhile, what I said earlier still stands. Bring Astral content to the foreground where new players can see it. Most people I know of that played Allods didn't even know you could have your own ship and fly around, they thought it was all just part of the background until I took them for a ride on the mighty Outlaw Star :P

Ah, good times.
Arisen Occultist
....555/667....

Arisen Heretic

MMO Experience:
- WoW, Age of Wushu, Tera, SWTOR, Swordsman, Atlantica, EVE, Allods, Secret World, Star Trek Online, ArcheAge, Age of Conan, Diablo 2*, Diablo 3*, Path of Exile*, Champions Online, Skyforge

Favorites:
- WoW: Vanilla - Wrath, Age of Wushu, Allods, EVE, Diablo 2*, Path of Exile*, Age of Conan

Ruined by Pay-to-Win:

Waiting for:
- Star Citizen

Sunday, October 18th 2015, 5:07am

Gheistlocke

Beginner

Here we go. I threw this together as a rough draft overnight. I cannibalized footage from my old reviews as well as added in new stuff and clips from trailers to make a "Why You Should Go Back To Allods" video showcasing 2 main points:

1.) Smuggler's Paradise and the abolition of p2w on it

2.) Astral Ship content showcased to rightly set Allods apart from the crowd

My tools for making this are paint shop, windows movie maker, and an old headset so yes the quality is crappy. Anyone know if there is such thing as software that can restore video degredation like seen in some of the older clips in the video?

https://youtu.be/41grSFBzZXs
Arisen Occultist
....555/667....

Arisen Heretic

MMO Experience:

Favorites:

Ruined by Pay-to-Win:

Waiting for:
- Star Citizen

Sunday, October 18th 2015, 4:45pm

Aionwen

Professional

Allods Online's biggest strength is its Astral Ship content

*Hust* surely not, no further comments
PLS make Tekians playable race. fix shipcanons!

Sunday, October 18th 2015, 9:24pm

Gheistlocke

Beginner

Allods Online's biggest strength is its Astral Ship content

*Hust* surely not, no further comments
I should clarify:

Allods Online's biggest strength when competing with other MMORPGs in a way that can make it stand out from the rest. Though that should have been apparent from the title.

You don't think so, though? I can't really think of anything else off the top of my head... reincarnations maybe? Dominion perhaps? Yet I fell like these can be compared to other things in other games. Astral Ship content, though? Nothing like it is found in other games. There are the ships in Archeage but they are elementary compared to the design and detail of the ships in Allods, let alone the art style.

What else could we offer? I often say to my buddies when they ask why I play Allods, "because I can do everything in Allods that I can do in any other MMO, but I can't do everything in any other MMO that I can do in Allods." This statement, of course, referring to Astral Ship content.
Arisen Occultist
....555/667....

Arisen Heretic

MMO Experience:

Favorites:

Ruined by Pay-to-Win:

Waiting for:
- Star Citizen

Monday, October 19th 2015, 1:37am

allods really offers a LOT, which makes it vastly superior to all other mmo-games... i have seen so much other games, and when i looked for a well know feature i knew from allods, it wasnt there
these features mean so much for me, if another mmogame does not have them, its not worth playing for me... just imagine... after you had automove and lootpet, would you EVER again want to play a game without these...? i clearly do not want!

strenghts of allods are a summary of many many things that are beneficial&comfortable to the player in total... some games have maybe 1 or 2 of these, but NO game has them ALL
things that come to my mind are:

gameplaywise:

autmove (even over different maps through portals!)
quests with CLEAR instructions even if you dont read anything (just press automove / interact with falshing things, done)
lootpet
option to gather ressources for handworking via lootpet
reincarnation-system
bloodluststat, makes it possible to heal yourself when doing pve
marks of fate (skip some quests you dont want to do)
currency exchange (even players with not much money / not much time can get what they want!)
rune-system (yes its a good thing in total, simples reason is because it conserves values for veterans!!)
auctioneer
possible option to permanently respec everywhere for free (goblin+VOD/VOL+certificate)
innovative mounts with different skills that cancel the pain of traveling
mercenaries (an option to play SOLO almost everything in this game, although a MMO you are NOT dependend on others)
not tailored around "casualgamers needs"
progression orientated game! (not a silly stateless game where your progress is worthless after short time or you cant even progress at all!)
coming soon: no longer silly upgrading of gear!

non-gameplaywise:

sympathic characters / cute / funny / bizarre with so adorable animations, like take a look at femals pridens facial expressions
--> detail-loving build game! take a look at all the small things & "eastereggs"
beautiful, amazing landscapes
amps are itersting too, not just generic crap- its really rich of details
great sounds / music -- if you pay attention to these things its amazing how much effort was put into here
quests that actually offer an interesting stroy if you are willing to read (yes i know so many of you just accept and never read :evil: )
great graphics and still not very demanding (gpu-wise)
the very uniqure system of astralships (although there is MUCH to do in this case, this system is NOT userfriendly / understandable simply) at all
game is obviously made with love.. you really see this game had a $12 million budget and programmers were NOT pushed to deliver under inhuman conditions, it more seems like those who made the game enjoyed doing so

-----------------------------------

i skipped that part with astralships of allods for a really long time TOTALLY just because it was too complicated and simply not funny at all for me
also, when you needed to travel with ship in order to gear up... well... that was almost as f**** up like cursed items on death... (or wait, i think this way of gearing actually was even worse than fear of death!)
i am REALLY happy astralships (the mechanic of it!) are only an ADDTIONAL thing atm and no longer an essential corething

suggestion for improvement: make singleplayer-astralships (no reason why there cant be a cable from the cannons to one place or why the scanner needs to b eon the other end of the ship...!
make upgrading of astralships easier, the thing with crystals etc is NOT simple to understand for a new player! make the ship gearable like a char!

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "ALLODS-ONLINE-PLAYER" (Oct 19th 2015, 1:53am)

Wednesday, October 21st 2015, 5:07pm

Gheistlocke

Beginner

Allods Player, you bring up so many good points, there. I whole heartedly agree with everything you've said with the exception of the runes. I'm no pro game designer, but I know from both personal experience and observation of others that it is not a good idea to give veteran players incredible power over new players. From what I understand, the rune system is tied into PvE balancing so it is an integral part of the f2p server. When they did the p2p server there was a lot of work done to rebalance the PvE.

I can see why "getting rid of" runes is simply not an option BEYOND even the fact it would rip away progression bought with time and money from the older/more powerful players. That's understandable. Besides, nobody cares about p2w in PvE. In PvE, when a p2w character joins the group it is a good thing because they can help kick in doors, guns blazing.

It's the PvP that suffers, and even PvErs want to PvP from time to time. As it stands, you absolutely 100% factually have to spend a lot of money, hundreds of dollars even, to even BEGIN to participate in ANY of the game's wonderful PvP. If you make the mistake of trying to PvP, you may leave the skirmishes with a feeling of complete dejection as you look at your character and realize just how worthless and pathetic he/she really is. It sours the entire experience afterwards, or at least it did for me and my guildmates. I simply couldn't even look at my Psionicist the same. It has nothing at all to do with player skill, knowledge of game mechanics, or anything else but sheer rune power when you are geared in epic-mythics along with your relics and at least lvl 7 runes and you die in ONE HIT. There simply is no time to apply any skill or experience. There is only time to die horribly lol. PvP is a big part of Allods, both in story and in gameplay.

Mind you, in my opinion, all the PvP problems are fixed with the arrival of Smuggler's Paradise. I am SO greatful for them throwing up the subcription server and I can't wait to experience Allods in its fullest (I am still leveling at the moment). I have no problem grinding, running dungeons, and playing the progression game. I simply don't make enough money as a Chef to afford rune upgrades. I will happily, HAPPILY pay the $11/month for the chance to play Allods in a way where power is given by a player's own merit and not by the size of his wallet.

Like I said, though, I absolutely agree with everything else you said.

The graphics? Beautiful... breathtaking in some areas.
The music? Amazing, don't get me started!
The marks of fate? Huuuuge help in leveling. Perfect for skipping quests or even entire zones a player may not like.
The auto-move? Awesome. I love how you follow the ball of yarn like you're running a Cretan labyrinth lol.
The mounts? Love em! The abilities are awesome and many of them look fantastic.
The mercenaries? Holy crap, dude, this one is incredibly big. No other game has it. Absolutely amazing and incredibly useful.
The new stats? Bloodlust is great! Giving life leech to any player/class? Great idea. Determination? Awesome! You mean my character will actually fight harder when I fight harder? The new stats offer an amazing dynamic I haven't seen before.
Speaking of dynamic... the classes! Absolutely terrific. The fading shields mechanic on the paladin? The customization of the Healer or the Scout? The brutality of the warrior? Allods character design is unparalleled.
The storyline? Loved it!

What you said is obviously true; Allods Online was made with love. The developers really poured their effort into creating a unique world, and they did not skimp on the small details. To this day, I am amazed by the quality of design.
Arisen Occultist
....555/667....

Arisen Heretic

MMO Experience:

Favorites:

Ruined by Pay-to-Win:

Waiting for:
- Star Citizen

Wednesday, October 21st 2015, 9:17pm

When they did the p2p server there was a lot of work done to rebalance the PvE.

All they did was adding a buff that counts as having patronage 5 while in raid instances. And even that one expansion later. That's hardly "a lot".

I think astral is somewhat decently balanced on p2p because no one has patronage 5.
Still, compared to old level 52 gear sectors or highest glyphs sectors it's infinitely easier.

Sadly this game too is going in the wrong direction. I really dislike the removal of certain hard astral debuffs and multiple debuffs being in effect at the same time.

I can't begin to imagine how easy s12 is on f2p. Probably can be done with completely random, uncoordinated group with some of it's members even AFK as long as tank and healer are at least semi-conscious. (would be nice if an endgame f2p player could confirm or deny)

Gearing into highest possible (level 66 fabled) gear should be a challenge.

This post has been edited 4 times, last edit by "Dala" (Oct 21st 2015, 9:38pm)

Thursday, October 22nd 2015, 9:43am

ofc s12 is not hard as old ff 52 lvl gear. thats quite disapponting but maybe there will be higher sectors for relic gear???

on f2p server its quite easy if u r going with good coordinated grp. Even random grps with no TS can complete s12 easily as long they got reasonable players (I mean ppls that actually know what to do on bosses and got like 350K dps which is defenetly not high).

the problem for me, since i dont play many hours as before, is that i got a norrow window of opportunity to find a grp so i go often with random grps and its not rare to find urself in a grp with 2 dpsers 98k gs doing 250k dps each thus making us fail the run.

Thursday, October 22nd 2015, 3:56pm

actually 250k dps is not even bad considering what you can get else^^ i already saw many who did lower dps than mercs^^ luckily you mostly have some carries with 800k in the grp ^^ also most bosses are not a dps race so even with lower dps its possible^^

to relics well there is no upgrade possibility for normal gear but for weapons there is ! so its probably enchanting again and i hope for more challenge^^ but cuz some noobs were crying they are nerving astral every patch so maybe you can solo those sektors^^

Thursday, October 22nd 2015, 4:06pm

also most bosses are not a dps race so even with lower dps its possible

true but I meant fail run if we didn't kill all bosses.

usually atleast 1 boss is a dps race cause of the boss mechanic or cause the tank will go to high wound complexity since the fight is taking too long.

Rate this thread